Monday, May 4, 2009

Disney's 2nd quarter earnings expected to be poor

According to a CNBC report, Disney is expected to report another loss when it announces earnings for the second quarter of the year. Already, some stock analysts are advising investors sell Disney stock, which closed today at more than $22 a share (up from about $15 a share just two months ago).

I know what the media stock analysts say, but I think it's a good idea to hold onto Disney stock (I don't own any Disney stock, nor am I some sort of financial expert, so this is just my .02 worth). Yes, the second quarter earnings are still going to show a loss, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Yes, the stock price will probably fall. But to go and sell now is to over-react the same way the mainstream media is over-reacting to the current swine flu issue. Stick it out. Call me an optimist, but I think six months to a year from now, Disney stock will be higher than it is now.

Why am I so optimistic? Think about the lineup of films in the next year or so: UP, Toy Story 1&2 in 3D, Toy Story 3, The Frog and the Princess, A Christmas Carol and more. I agree, the parks have had to offer incentives to boost attendance (and it's worked, based on recent reports of packed parks in the past month), but those who aren't (or can't) planning major trips may find themselves in a movie theater. With the summer school vacation coming, you can bet kids are waiting to see the next Disney movie.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers