Sunday, November 9, 2008

WDW at the Holidays: Disney's Hollywood Studios

Up next in my preview of the holidays at Walt Disney World -- Disney's Hollywood Studios.

What am I looking forward to seeing in person here? Well, it's the obvious: The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. This show originated in the Osborne's yard in Arkansas (no, not Ozzy). His christmas decorations became so big that he bought the houses on either side of his and then expanded even further. Things got so big that people would come from all parts of the nation to see this spectacle, causing insane traffic nightmares. The town took legal action to shut down the whole thing. When Disney heard about this, they stepped in and offered to move the entire thing to Disney World. Since the 1995 move to WDW, the spectacle has become bigger and bigger, but all the original lights are still there.

(Image copyright Disney, all rights reserved.)

This is one holiday event that is near to my heart. Each year, I want to do more and more decorations (lights) outside. I'm trying to find a way to add more Disney references to the decorations. Who knows, maybe I'll get a few ideas from seeing this spectacle.

When I say this thing is huge, I really mean HUGE!!! There are about 4 MILLION lights in this event, and now they dance across the Streets of America. To top it off, "snow" falls during the evening. Best of all, this is not a hard-ticketed event (like Mickey's Very Merry), it's included with the price of admission.

This really is one I will not miss. See for yourself, check out the YouTube clip from http://www.wdwinfo.com/ below.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers